Did you know that a single tablet from the medicine cabinet or ingestion of a teaspoon of a liquid household product can potentially cause morbidity and even death in a child?
Dr. Jennifer Tucker, a Pediatric Emergency Physician, joins Dr. Rebecca Yang and Pediatric Resident James Davis to discuss the evaluation and management for specific common but dangerous household medications and substances in the household.
- Review the basic assessment skills and evaluation for a child presenting with a potential toxic ingestion
- Discuss the role of decontamination, diagnostic options, treatment and monitoring for toxic ingestions
- Medications reviewed: Calcium Channel Blockers, Clonidine, Oral Hypoglycemics
- Household products reviewed are those that contain toxic alcohols, benzocaine, Imidazoline, Camphor, and methylsalycylate
- Anticipatory guidance to families regarding potential exposure/ingestion
Special thanks to Dr. George Hsu and Dr. Eric Ring for peer reviewing this episode.
Check out our website for detailed show-notes: https://www.augusta.edu/mcg/pediatrics/residency/podcast.php
Questions, comments, or feedback? Please email us at email@example.com
- Deadly Pediatric Poisons: Nine Common Agents that Kill at Low Doses. MichaelJB, Sztajnkrycer MD. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004;22(4):1019–1050
- Toxic Ingestions: Initial Management. Courtney W. Mangus, Therese L. Canares. Pediatrics in Review Apr 2018, 39 (4) 219-221
- Tucker MD, Jennifer. "One Pill (Or Sip) Can Kill." MCG Pediatric Grand Rounds Presentation. Augusta, Georgia. July 15,2016.